![]() |
| McKenna, Annie, Me |
Back in Sept/Oct I kept looking in the mirror and thinking that I was fatter than I want to be. In my case, 4 babies in 6 years left me with several extra
I knew what I had to do, but there's two things that I really hate...getting up early and running. I have always hated running. I was a fairly decent athlete up to college, but NEVER EVER did I run distances...ever. I distinctly remember feeling sorry for the kids who ran cross country. And as I drive around and see people running, I always assume they are miserable! So naturally, that's the exercise I chose. I talked with a few gals (that I knew weren't already running) and convinced them to join me. BEST-DECISION-EVER! There is no way that I could have done this without them.
We started the first week of November. Our first run was twice around the outside of our neighborhood...it was 1.6 miles and I walked 4 times. It's embarrassing. BUT, we quickly increased our distance, and before I knew it, we were running over 3 miles. We faithfully meet up at 6am, 3-4 times a week to run. A now, a month and a half later, we always run over 3 miles, and have increased to 4 and even 5 miles on occasion. And, I kind of like it, because now, instead of gasping for air, we can chat and that makes the time go faster.
I'm a novice runner. I'm sure the real-runners snicker behind my back. But, I'm out there in the dark, cold, and rain, and I'm proving to myself that you can teach this old dog, some new tricks.
So, the question remains, am I a size 4 yet? Sadly no. And, unfortunately, my thighs still touch. But I'm on my way to a healthier (thinner) me, and I feel great. And, if I can say it, I'm pretty damn proud of myself.
Have you seen this...cause I love it!
PS...Here's a little something I learned at the 5K today. A lot of the "real" runners wear their old marathon t-shirts. I'm pretty sure they do this to let everyone else know just how awesome they are. In which case, I'm contemplating making my own t-shirt that says, "I barely made it through the 5K." I like to keep people's expectations really low.


11 comments:
OMG, how seriously do you rock? That is amazing Jenny, good for you!
I'm seriously impressed. And I totally squirted coffee out my nose when I saw the chubby little yellow runner. I'm pretty sure that's what I look like simply walking!
awesome.
Way to Jenny! So proud of you for getting up at o'dark hundred 3-4 times a week. That is called discipline and dedication. I'm going to make you a shirt that says: "I am a bad-ass running Mamma!" xoxo
Jenny, every time I read your bog I'm so impressed by you!!!
I also had to start running (or kind of jogging in my case). A year after having Oliver I'd still go into the fitting room and tell the sales clerk, "I just had a baby". Not good. Running was the only thing that helped me start losing the weight (although I still have a ways to go)...
You're encouraging to me...I've been wondering if I could do a 5k!
Jenny I love your posts, they make me laugh, thanks for todays smile!
Good job Jenny wish I was there with you ladies! See you bright and early this week :)
You are amazing! xOXO
i dont think you can say the real runners snicker behind your back because the real runners aren't such because they're fast, but because they run in the dark and cold and rain. ergo, you're a real runner.
YOU ROCK!!! That's a FANTASTIC (and FAST) time! You kicked *my* butt. But I always say there's no shame in walking - probably because I have yet to *run* an entire 5k.
Keep it up!
Not only am I super impressed & inspired with your determination, but as always I am laughing out loud at your hilarious blog. You are so clever.
I ran my first 10K last year, but since then I have been completely slacking in the "get in shape" department" and your blog has lifted my spirits and made me want to get out there and run ... although 6 am and me don't quite get along, so we will see how that goes. :-)
Congratulations and keep it up, girl!
I want that tee shirt too, please.
After all, I contributed to hell freezing over that day. Just like my buns freeze every morning we're out (gasping for air) running. :)
Post a Comment